What is "Sleep Hygiene"?
"Sleep Hygiene" defines the things that you can do to help get a good night's sleep. Try following these tips if you are having trouble falling asleep or if you do not wake feeling refreshed:
- Wait until you are sleepy before going to bed.
- Pre-sleep rituals help to initiate relaxation before going to bed. A warm bath, light snack, or a few minutes of reading or listening to music can help initiate good sleep.
- Avoid eating heavy meals near bedtime.
- If you're not asleep after 20 minutes, get out of bed and go to another room and do something quiet for a short time.
- Try to keep a regular schedule of when you go to bed and when you get up, 7 days a week.
- Avoid napping, and no naps after 3 PM.
- Do not read, eat, watch TV, talk on the phone, or play board games in bed.
- Avoid caffeine (coffee, tea, soda, chocolate) after lunch.
- Avoid any type of alcohol within six hours of your bedtime.
- Do not smoke (or use any tobacco product) within two hours of your bedtime.
- Regular exercise helps in getting a good night’s sleep, but avoid strenuous exercise within six hours of your bedtime.
- Avoid sleeping pills, or use them cautiously.
- Try to clear your mind of things that make you worry.
- Maintain a quiet, dark, and cool bedroom environment.
Do you have a sleep disorder? Click here to find out.