Are You Eligible for Obesity Surgery?
Qualifications for Surgery
Only very obese persons (greater than twice their ideal weight) are considered for surgical treatment. Otherwise, the expected risks may outweigh anticipated benefits. The ideal patient:
- Should clearly and realistically understand surgical risks and benefits and how his or her life may change after surgery.
- Has a severely impaired quality of life due to morbid obesity.
- Is able to participate in treatment and commit to long-term follow up.
- Is 100 pounds over Ideal Weight or have a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or above (BMI = weight in kg / height in meters2), or has a BMI of 35 to 40 with associated severe medical conditions.
- Has failed non-surgical measures within the last year or more as shown by detailed weight loss history in established weight control programs.
- Should have no contraindications for surgery.