All applications are processed through ERAS and should include: ERAS Common Application Form (CAF)/Curriculum Vitae (CV), Official Medical School Transcript , Dean’s Letter (Medical School Performance Evaluation), at least three current letters of recommendation, Personal Statement, USMLE or COMLEX transcript and ECFMG (Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates) status, if applicable.
The Pathology program selects residents from among eligible applicants on the basis of their preparedness, aptitude, academic credentials, communication skills and personal qualities and the consideration of the following:
- Passing USMLE Step I and II scores (3 digit score > 198) by the third attempt. USMLE Part III is not required.
- The USMLE/COMLEX Part II Clinical Skills Exam must be passed with formal verification prior to submission of the match list in February.
- The applicant should have completed medical school (including internship if required by your school) no more than 10 years ago. Discretion may be exercised, if USMLE Part III has been passed.
- It is expected that applicants be truly interested in pursuing a broad training in anatomic and clinical pathology with the intent of practicing in an environment where diagnostic service and laboratory management will be a major responsibility.
- Graduates of foreign medical schools not graduating in spring; must have a valid ECFMG certificate posted on ERAS prior to the deadline for match list submission in February.
- Graduates of foreign medical schools must have at least one month experience within the US medical system in a pathology-related specialty.
- Sponsorship of J-1 Visas ONLY for residency training. The hospital will not sponsor H1b Visas.
Applications are processed as early as September and are accepted through December 15th. Applications will be processed and reviewed upon receipt by our Education Committee. Approximately 50 applicants will be invited for interviews. Interviews are by invitation only. Once the application is complete and reviewed, selected candidates will be invited by e-mail and will be asked to call to schedule an interview date. Interviews are conducted from very late October through mid-January. Interviews are conducted Tuesday-Friday of each week beginning at 8:00 a.m. and typically ending by 4:00 p.m. Exceptions can be made for those traveling from a distance or with a partner. Interviews are not conducted on weekends, holidays, the week of Thanksgiving or between Christmas & New Year’s Day (12/24-1/1).
Resident selection will take place through the Matching Program for PGY1 positions in our Anatomic and Clinical Residency Program.
Mary Fiel-Gan, M.D.
Residency Program Administrator:
Department of Pathology/Clinical Laboratory Partners
80 Seymour Street
Hartford, CT 06102-5037
Phone: (860) 545-6113