The Schizophrenia Rehabilitation Program at Hartford Hospital/ Institute of Living provides specialized training for individuals with schizophrenia and related disorders.
The Program emphasizes the development of cognitive skills and motivation as the foundation for building more productive and satisfying daily lives. Neuropsychological rehabilitation techniques are applied in a very structured environment throughout the treatment. The program aims to enable patients to experience success and gradually build upon these successes to improve functioning at work, at school, and in the community.
- Neurocognitive assessment
- Attention and memory training
- Motivation and initiative training
- Psychiatric medication evaluation and treatment
- Vocational and functional rehabilitation
- Classes on mental illness and treatment
- Family and home visits
- Family education and support programs
The Schizophrenia Rehabilitation Program at the Institute of Living offers services for individuals with schizophrenia and related disorders at various levels of need.
- Individuals during the first few years of illness are helped to develop skills that facilitate positive community functioning.
- Individuals with persistent disabilities are helped to return to work, school and/or other meaningful activities.
- Individuals who require a long-term supported living situation participate in our training program while living in a group home on the hospital grounds. This programming offers a highly structured environment for individuals who need assistance to increase independence and improve the quality of their lives.
Typical schedule: 9 AM – 3 PM, 3 days / week
Cognitive remediation, motivation and skills groups, medication evaluation and treatment, functional and vocational assessment and rehabilitation, case management, and supportive psychotherapy are provided.
Clinical Psychology Residency Program:
The Department of Psychology offers an APA-approved Residency in
psychology in which prospective candidates may choose an area of
emphasis to pursue their advanced competency training. The Schizophrenia
Rehabilitation Program (SRP) area of emphasis focuses on working with
patients who are severely mentally ill with an emphasis on
neurocognitive rehabilitation. Click here for more information
Information and Referrals: